Junkyard Find: 1970 IHC Scout

While the large numbers of Scouts on the extremely urban and snow-free Island That Time Forgot never made sense to me, it’s no surprise that the tough little International Harvester trucks still roam Colorado in large numbers.


never made sense to me, it’s no surprise that the tough little International Harvester trucks still roam Colorado in large numbers. Still, with so many Scouts, some are going to end up facing The Crusher, and that’s what’s happened to this battered ’70.

It looks pretty solid at first glance, but closer examination reveals plenty of Bondo-covered rust. Still, there should have been plenty of life left in this truck. I blame cheap Subarus!

Damn if I can ID IHC V8s at a glance. If this is the factory-installed engine, it should be a 180-horsepower 304 (not to be confused with the unrelated AMC 304).

I’m tempted to buy one of the valve covers to hang on my garage wall.

Compare this instrument panel to the “information centers” that came later. Sure, most of those cheapo gauges probably failed by 1975, but they sure look cool.

We need more road vehicles made by farm equipment manufacturers!